Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

About Forums Team Building & Staff

Tagged: ,

• Team Building & Staff

• Rayanne Buchianico

August 8, 2018 at 4:33 am

While at ChannelCon last week, I sat in session after session about diversity in the workplace, team building, flexibility, and company growth. They all came together for me regarding not just one employee, but the company as a whole. Now that I’ve hired our fifth person, I want to be sure we’re all marching down the same street.

I put together my version of our company’s vision, mission, values, and culture based on Manuel’s session on Getting To The Next Level. I invited all of the staff to a meeting to discuss it, restructure the company, the role of every person in the office, etc.

I had the attention of everyone in the room with the exception of one person. We have been struggling to get this employee to engage on any level. She struggles with the technology we use, client communication, in-office communication, technical skills in her job, and generally her attitude toward me has deteriorated over the past 6 weeks or more. She has only been with the company for 3 months.

Before the meeting, I sat her down and explained that I wanted to give her work more suited to her skills. Rather than force her to perform tasks that she is not comfortable doing, isn’t doing well or profitably, we have plenty of work to go around where we can capitalize on her strengths. We had a good talk (at least I thought it went well.) I told her I hoped it was all well-received and she said it was.

Then, she went home and sent me an email resignation.

One problem solved. Another problem created.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now